For brands with an online presence, strong social media engagement is a sign that you’re making an impact. However, it’s not just about looking popular: it’s about making meaningful connections with current and future audiences, which will serve to boost your brand message both on and offline.
Of course you also want to rack up your followers, but ultimately, the greatest measure of social media success is an engaged audience, not just a big one. As a business, it’s quality, not just quantity, that you should be striving for.
You can measure social media engagement by a range of metrics that could include the following:
- Shares or retweets
- Followers and audience growth
- Mentions (either tagged or untagged)
- Use of branded hashtags
Why and how to invest in video for social media
If you’ve logged in to any social media platform recently, the chances are you’ll have seen video content within the first 10 seconds. This is because video content typically performs best with most algorithms, based on the fact it captures a viewer’s attention for longer. And the longer a viewer engages with a piece of content, the more likely an algorithm will boost that content to a wider audience. Which explains why videos on Instagram generate more engagement than any other content type and Tweets with video see 10x more engagement.
Website visitors are 64% more likely to buy your product after watching a video. So create exciting, short videos worthy of sharing. And always make sure to include a link to a purchasing page as you want to make purchasing your product as easy as possible after viewing a video.
Additionally, try and make your videos entertaining, funny, and unique. That doesn’t mean they have to be cheesy or over the top. Stay true to your brand and your objectives. Focus on what separates your brand and product to create brand awareness. If you’re in a serious industry or sell a serious product, making a funny video series probably won’t help your sales.
One of the best parts of social video is that the metrics are easy to track and normally viewable to everyone. Are people watching your video? Are people sharing it?
If you want people to share and engage with your social videos, keep your target audience in mind and also the platform you use. More than likely, the same video won’t find success on both Facebook and LinkedIn. Follow the best practices, and the demographic, of each platform to avoid alienating or even losing followers.
Tips for encouraging engagement
A great video is the first step to engagement, but there are a few additional things you can do to encourage viewers to take that next step towards that like, comment, or share:
- Include a call-to-action in either the video itself or in the video’s description when you share the video. Let people know what you want them to do next, whether it’s share, tag a friend, retweet on Twitter, or answer a question in the comments on Facebook or Instagram.
- Be quick to grab your audience’s attention. When scrolling through Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, it’s easy for people to be overwhelmed with content. If your video doesn’t capture their attention immediately, they’ll just keep scrolling. To avoid that, start with an eye-catching photo, video clip, or an intriguing title to capture their attention within the first few seconds. This way they’ll stop, keep watching, and be more engaged.
- Create videos designed for sound off! As much as 85% of video on Facebook is watched in silence. When creating your videos, use titles or captions so that your video can be understood without audio. Adding captions is worth your while, too, because Facebook reports that captioning videos increases watch time by 12%.
Video is becoming an integral part of an effective social media strategy. The stats prove it, as do the results. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, try starting out with one type of video for example speaking to a trend, telling a story, teaching something, or sharing a behind-the-scenes peek.
Keep our tips in mind when creating your video because we think you’ll be inspired by the results. At Rightlane we are masters of creating video content that will grab your audience’s attention so if you need help with your video strategy or advice on how to create innovative video content then get in touch with us today!